I’m a little late on the upswing today, but better late than never, right??? Let’s get this Hill House discussion going ASAP. Feel free to tackle our questions below, link up your own blog post, or both! We’re pretty laid back here.
- Do you see Hill House’s horrors as being different for its male and female inhabitants? Any gender issues at play here?
- What’s up with the ghostly disturbances in this book? Eleanor’s blooming telekinetic abilities, real-deal ghosties, a big mess of unreliable character? What say you?
- The Haunting of Hill House was first published in 1959. What aspects of 1950s culture or society do you see the novel critiquing, criticizing, or commenting on?
- Most Gothic novels are written in an ornate style, but Jackson chooses a simplistic style with a conversational word choice. What does it add to this harrowing tale? Do you find that it detracts in some places?
- The Big One: what is it about Hill House that allows it to consume Eleanor’s sanity so efficiently? Or, what is it about Eleanor that allows Hill House to consumer her sanity?